O Lord Thou shalt open my lips and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Will You Acompany The Bridegroom in His Suffering?

A bride's function is to support and help her bridegroom. Christ is the Bridegroom of the Church. How much have we supported Him in His suffering and done penance and mortification to join in and help His sacrifice for us? Christ's death and resurrection shows us that His sacrifice leads to immortality. Thus, if we join ourselves to His sacrifice and participate in it, we will find immortality as well, hence the need for so much suffering and penance in this world. Do we just watch His sacrifice like His enemies did on the first Holy Friday or do we participate in it by accepting our own sufferings and especially by the Holy Eucharist?


Listen to the Bridegroom's words: "In thy sight are all they that afflict me; my heart hath expected reproach and misery. And I looked for one that would grieve together with me, but there was none: and for one that would comfort me, and I found none. And they gave me gall for my food, and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink." (Ps 68:21-22) He lives a life accustomed to pain as the Holy Prophet Isaias tells us: "Despised, and the most abject of men, a man of sorrows, and acquainted with infirmity: and his look was as it were hidden and despised, whereupon we esteemed him not." (Is 53:3) Do we join Him in His suffering, so that we may share in His resurrection, or do we reject God by wanting to serve Him on our own terms?