O Lord Thou shalt open my lips and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.

Friday, January 11, 2013

The Relentlessness of the Bridegroom

Icon of the Nymphios, the Bridegroom

On this Friday, let us remember Our Lord's Passion and how our sins cause Him great suffering, for they are the attacks of the Beloved on the Bridegroom, and how He endures every suffering our sins cause Him as a penance on the cross for our sake that those same sins might be forgiven and the Beloved made pure again.

"Even though I have abandoned You, good Father, do not forsake me! Do not cast me out of the kingdom! The most evil enemy has stolen my fortune and left me naked; I have loved riotous living more than spiritual gifts, but now I return to You with tears and sighs: take me back as one of Your hired servants, Lord. For my sake You stretched Your pure hands upon the cross; You delivered me from the wicked enemy's grasp, restoring to me the wedding garment of purity, since You alone are the merciful Lover of mankind!"-from Lauds at Byzantine Rite Matins on the Sunday of the Prodigal Son, one of the Sundays of Pre-Lent.