O Lord Thou shalt open my lips and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Black becomes Beautiful


Nigra sum, sed formosa, filiae Ierusalem, ideo dilexit me rex et introduxit me in cubiculum suum et dixit mihi: "surge, amica mea, et veni. Iam hiems transiit, imber abiit et recessit; flores apparuerunt in terra nostra; tempus putationis advenit".

I am black but beautiful, daughters of Jerusalem, So the King loved me, and led me into his inner chamber and said to me: Arise, my friend, and come. Now winter has passed, the rain has gone, and flowers have appreared in our land; The time of pruning has come.

"Μέλαινά εἰμι καὶ καλή, θυγατέρες Ιερουσαλημ"
“ЧернA є4смь а4зъ и3 добрA, дщє1ри їерcли6мскіz”
"Nigra sum sed formosa, filiae Hierusalem"
"I am black but beautiful, O ye daughters of Jerusalem"
-Cant. 1:4

The bride is black because of her sins. She is beautiful because the bridegroom loves her. His love for her means that he will always sacrifice himself to God for the sake of her salvation. The existence of her sins means that he is upset with her. The blackness results from her actions and the beauty from his actions. Each does not prevent the existence of the other. He is offended by her sins specifically because he loves her. If he didn't love her, he wouldn't care what she did.

She is beautiful because in his love for her, he sees the beauty she was created to have in God. He sacrifices himself to God to get her to that beauty. He sacrifices himself in spite of her sins, specifically to absolve them, no matter how immense they become or who supports them. They are blackness and very grievous to her bridegroom for they, her empty pleasures, impede her progress to that beauty. He bears them patiently as a penance for her so that she who is “ЧернA” (cherna-black) might be “добрA” (dobra-beautiful).

“ЧернA є4смь а4зъ и3 добрA,”
"I am black but beautiful"