O Lord Thou shalt open my lips and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Modern Penitent; Pray for More of These

I love penitents. It's one of my basic characteristics. I have previously about St. Mary Magdalene, St. Mary of Egypt, St. Pelagia of Antioch, and St. Margaret of Cortona. The life of St. Mary of Egypt is a traditional read for Lent in the Eastern Rites, btw (hint, hint, wink, wink, go read it).

Now over at Catholic Sistas there is a story of a woman who went from this:
I spent most of my life doing whatever I wanted. From the age of 13 until 33 I had pretty much given myself control of my own life. I honestly believed that God was a merciful God and He would forgive me of anything I did, even if I didn’t humble myself and admit I was wrong with contrition. All of that was a foreign concept to me.

I stopped feeling shame for my promiscuity when I turned 30. At that point in my life I no longer felt that it was wrong for me to be sleeping with multiple partners at the same time, and according to my “counselor” at Planned Parenthood, who I saw once a month for STD testing, I was being responsible. Why? Because I was getting tested and I was sterilized so I couldn’t get pregnant. So allowing men to treat me like a toy to use for their pleasure was perfectly fine according to them. In fact, whenever I went in with one of the particular men that I was involved with, the clinic workers would flirt with him, never mind that he was bringing me in there to get tested for STD’s all while treating me like trash and talking to me with anything but dignity and respect. They still thought he was a catch.
to this:
We made our choice because we both realized that if we were going to be Catholic, if we were going to be married in the Church then we were going to do it right. All the way right, which meant doing whatever it was God wanted from us, and not taking it upon ourselves to do what we wanted all while saying we were Catholic. Being Catholic means more than just going to Mass, having envelopes, being a part of Parish activities, being on the Parish Council or any of that. Being Catholic means being obedient to God and His Church in all things, not just the teachings that we choose to follow.

[...]

I know what it is to do things my way, it never turns out good. I now know what it is to do things God’s way, and I have found nothing but peace following His Will. Stacey [her husband] and I will forever be grateful to Father Jonathan for never budging on the issue. It is by the Grace of God that we even made it into his office without being married by the JP. It is by the Grace of God that we have a great marriage and a great life. It is also the by the Grace of God that Fr J told us the truth, in love, and that we choose to be obedient to God’s Will. By His Grace, Stacey and I made Jesus the Lord of our Sexuality. Thanks be to God.
Do go there and read her whole story. And above all, pray for more women to repent of their sins. We need many more penitents like this. We need more conversions to proclaim the glory of the truth about love, sex, and marriage and it's nature as being an imitation of Christ the Bridegroom.