O Lord Thou shalt open my lips and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Bridegroom Suffers for the Bride

We are in Passiontide when the Christ the Nymphios (Bridegroom) suffers for His Bride the Church.


(Improperia from Good Friday)

Translation:
"My people, what have I done to you? How have I offended you? Answer me." (Micah 6:3)

1.) "For I led you out of the land of Egypt," (Micah 6:4) but you have prepared a cross for your Savior.

Agios o Theos!
Sanctus Deus.
Agios Ischyros!
Sanctus Fortis.
Agios Athanatos, eleison imas.
Sanctus Immortalis, miserere nobis.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us. (first Greek, then Latin)

2.) For I led you through the wilderness forty years,
And fed you with manna, and brought you into a land exceeding good; (cf. Deuteronomy 8:2-3, 7)
But you have prepared a cross for your Savior.

Agios o Theos...

3.) "What more ought I have done for" you that I have not done? (Isaiah 5:4)
Indeed I planted you, my most beautiful vineyard,
and you have become exceeding bitter to me;
"In my thirst you gave me vinegar to drink," (Psalm 69:22)
And with a lance you have pierced the side of your Savior.

Agios o Theos...