O Lord Thou shalt open my lips and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.

Monday, December 12, 2011

If Only Sinners Would Say This:


Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe - III Class

Some flowers I picked from today's Office:

Matins
1st Responsory:
R. I have seen her as beautiful as a dove, rising up over streams of water: The fragrance of her clothes was immeasurable: * As the flower of roses in the spring of the year, and as lilies by the rivers of waters, so did they cluster round about her.
V. Who is this, who ascends over the wilderness as pillars of smoke, perfumed with myrrh and frankincense?
R. As the flower of roses in the spring of the year, and as lilies by the rivers.

from the 2nd Lesson:
I am the mother of fair love, and of fear, and of knowledge, and of holy hope. In me is all grace of the way and of the truth, in me is all hope of life and of virtue. Come over to me, all ye that desire me, and be filled with my fruits. For my spirit is sweet above honey, and my inheritance above honey and the honeycomb. My memory is unto everlasting generations. (Sir. 24:24-28)

2nd Responsory:
R. Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, clear as the sun, fair as the moon, comely as Jerusalem?
* The daughters of Sion saw her and blest her; the queens also, and they did praise her.
V. As the flower of roses in the spring of the year, and as lilies by the rivers of waters, so did they cluster round about her.
R. The daughters of Sion saw her and blest her; the queens also, and they did praise her.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost.
R. The daughters of Sion saw her and blest her; the queens also, and they did praise her.

3rd Responsory:

Vespers
Chapter:
Blessed is the man that heareth me, and that watcheth daily at my gates, and waiteth at the posts of my doors. He that shall find me, shall find life, and shall have salvation from the Lord.

Hymn:

V. He hath not done in like manner to every nation.
R. And his judgments he hath not made manifest to them.

Magnificat antiphon:
Lift up thine eyes * round about, and see: all they gather themselves together, they come to thee: thy sons shall come from afar, and thy daughters shall rise from thy side.

Finally, possibly my most favorite piece of music, Tomas Luis de Victoria's Nigra Sum:


I am black but beautiful, daughters of Jerusalem.
Therefore the King hath loved me and led me into his chamber
and said to me: Arise, my friend, and come.
Now winter has passed, the rain has gone.
Flowers have appreared in our land,
The time of pruning has come.