O Lord Thou shalt open my lips and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Why We Have Advent

During Advent we pray that the Lord will come and restore the life that sin destroyed. We are in a mess; a mess created by our own sins and the sins of those around us. Whenever we try to right all the wrongs, we are met with relentless resistance on the part of those who support the sin. This is why the Church gives us penitential seasons-to support us and help us remove the passions and pleasures from our lives and replace them with the life so great only God can give it.
"For I will declare my iniquity: * and I will think for my sin.
But my enemies live, and are stronger that I: * and they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied.
They that render evil for good, have detracted me, * because I followed goodness.
Forsake me not, O Lord my God: * do not thou depart from me.
Attend unto my help, * O Lord, the God of my salvation."-Ps 37:20-23
No matter how much our enemies overwhelm us, always God can and will defeat them:
"And the enemies of the Lord, presently after they shall be honoured and exalted, * shall come to nothing and vanish like smoke."-Ps 36:20
Life is not about making yourself or others happy, it's about attaining the dignity for which you were created by God; both on the part of yourself and helping others reach the same. If you live like this, those who support empty and passing pleasures will attack you relentlessly. The only way to survive is to beg the Lord to come down and restore the life that sin destroys.