O Lord Thou shalt open my lips and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"Wash me more and more from my sin."


OK, I realize that this is a God-less song that's about whatever it's about (so you don't need to remind me), but Evanescence unwittingly sang something that mirrors the cry of a repentant sinner to her Lord. Lets have a look (my comments):



Lyrics:
How can you see into my eyes like open doors? [God knows the sinner and sees into the heart.]
Leading you down into my core where I’ve become so numb [The sinner feels dead because her soul (her core) is dead.]
Without a soul my spirit sleeping somewhere cold [Better: "Without life, my spirit (i.e. soul) is sleeping somewhere cold (i.e. lifeless)"]
until you find it there and lead it back home [Until God raises her from spiritual death, back home to His presence.]

(Wake me up) [Raise me from the death of sin.]
Wake me up inside [Raise me from the death of sin.]
(I can’t wake up) [Raise me from the death of sin.]
Wake me up inside [You get the idea.]
(Save me) [Save me.]
call my name and save me from the dark [There's a good bit packed in here. It should remind you of the Last Gospel (Jn 1:1-14) and the Benedictus (Lk 1:68-79). Both speak of God saving sinners, who are said to be in the "darkness" and the "shadow of death". We cannot save ourselves, so the only way out is if God calls us.]
(Wake me up) [Raise me from the death of sin.]
bid my blood to run [Give me life (i.e. grace). Only Your Blood can make my blood flow again.]
(I can’t wake up) [I, as a human, am not strong enough to save myself.]
before I come undone [before I go to Hell]
(Save me) [Save me.]
save me from the nothing I’ve become. [Save me from the sinner I've turned myself into.]

Now that I know what I’m without [That "what" is the joy and inner peace that comes only from being with God. Love comes from God alone. Everything else is just passing passions.]
you can't just leave me [you can't just leave me to rot in my own sin and fall into Hell]
breathe into me [Give me life.] and make me real [Restore the real version of me, after I destroyed myself and pretended to be someone I'm not by living a life of sin.]
bring me to life [Give me Your life to bring the real me, the person who I really am, into reality; that people may know that the holy version of me is who I really am and that the sinful version of me is a fake that people (including myself) made up in our own pride.]

(Wake me up) [This is the refrain, as above]
Wake me up inside
(I can’t wake up)
Wake me up inside
(Save me)
call my name and save me from the dark
(Wake me up)
bid my blood to run
(I can’t wake up)
before I come undone
(Save me)
save me from the nothing I’ve become

Bring me to life [Give me grace. Restore the real me. My life is sin is a fake; it isn't me. Only my life with You is real.]
(I've been living a lie, [By living a life of sin, I lied to myself about who I am. The sinful version of me isn't the real me. It's fake. It's fictional. It's a lie. It was made up by man in a fit of pride, especially by myself in my own pride. This isn't who I am. I've been lying to myself and to everyone around me about who I really am. They need to completely re-learn who I am after knowing me for years because they've only known the false me I made up in sin. I myself need to learn who I am. I am someone created by You to love You and love my neighbor with a love that imitates and mirrors Your love of me.] there's nothing inside) [my life of sin is just empty pleasure]
Bring me to life [Give me grace. Make people know that the sinful version of me is not the real me. Show them my true identity, who I really am. I can't shake this fake version of me I made up in sin. "Wash me more and more from my sin." Get rid of the sinful version of me and make people know that it is fake and isn't real. Tell them who I am. They don't know who I really am. They only know the lie I've been living.]

frozen inside without your touch
Without your love, darling [My life is dead and empty without Your love burning inside me.]
only you are the life among the dead [You alone are Life among humanity. Brings up thoughts of the Resurrection.]

all this time I can't believe I couldn't see
kept in the dark but you were there in front of me [This entire time You have been right in front of my face calling me back, waiting for me to return, because You love me so much and will never give up on me. I, in my sin and pride, ignored You and refused to see that your desire for me was love and that sin's desire for me was empty pleasure.]
I’ve been sleeping a thousand years it seems [I've been in sin for longer than I can remember. It's embarrassing to think of how long it's been and how much of my life I've destroyed and wasted on sin.]
got to open my eyes to everything [Not only do those around me need to learn who I really am, but I myself need to learn who I really am. I need to learn everything about my life both in the present (to live my vocation) and in the past (to make up for my sins) because I was never paying attention and was wasting my life and destroying myself in sin.]
Without a thought, without a voice, without a soul [Sin has destroyed me to the point that I don't have the strength to think of You, or speak to You, or so much as be alive (again "soul" should be "life/grace")]
don't let me die here [you can't just leave me to rot in my own sin and fall into Hell.]
there must be something more [There must be more to my existence than this physical world with it's passing and empty pleasures.]
bring me to life [Restore me to the life I once had with you. Make me glorious, with your love shining through me, completely replacing the lie I have have been living with a complete replacement. Every last tiny detail of my sin must be exposed as fake and replaced by your love. "Wash me more and more from my sin."]

(Wake me up) [This is the refrain, as above]
Wake me up inside
(I can’t wake up)
Wake me up inside
(Save me)
call my name and save me from the dark
(Wake me up)
bid my blood to run
(I can’t wake up)
before I come undone
(Save me)
save me from the nothing I’ve become

(Bring me to life)
I’ve been living a lie, there’s nothing inside
(Bring me to life)
If only sinners would come to this realization! The the angels would sing like this announcer:



How does God respond to such a cry? St. John tells us in his Apocalypse: "For the Lamb, which is in the midst of the throne, shall rule them and shall lead them to the fountains of the waters of life: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes." (Ap. 7:17)