O Lord Thou shalt open my lips and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Compassion of the Passion

During the Easter Season I'll be bringing you gems from St. Faustina's Diary, after reading it for Lent.
Diary of St. Faustina, 1182
Today the Lord said to me, My daughter, My pleasure and delight, nothing will stop Me from granting you graces. Your misery does not hinder My mercy. My daughter, write that the greater the misery of a soul, the greater its right to My mercy; [urge] all souls to trust in the unfathomable abyss of My mercy, because I want to save them all. On the cross, the fountain of My mercy was opened wide by the lance for all souls-no one have I excluded!
When we are in misery, we doubt God and His Mercy. We cannot see a way out. That's what makes it misery: the lack of a way out of the painful situation. We think that God cannot possibly get us out of this current pain and restore the graces that were had before the sin that causes the misery. Even if we can see a way out of the sin, we can't see any way that the previous graces could be restored completely. We think that since we can never live that part of our lives again, we can never have anything completely restored. We doubt God's mercy. We doubt God's mercy every step of the way. What does the King of Mercy tell us? He tells us to say the prayer "Jesus, I Trust in You". He tells us to trust Him. He says here that, "nothing will stop Me from granting you graces." He is the Pantocrator, the Omnipotent One. He can give us whatever graces He so chooses. He tells us through the Royal Prophet, "But if thou turnest away thy face, they shall be troubled: thou shalt take away their breath, and they shall fail, and shall return to their dust. Thou shalt send forth thy spirit, and they shall be created: and thou shalt renew the face of the earth." (Ps 103:29-30). The Spirit blows where he pleases. He can restore whatever He wants. He's God. It's easy for Him. He can also give new graces that are greater than the last. He's infinite, so there is always more grace; there's always a greater grace. His mercy is not limited by our misery. As the Omnipotent One He can restore anything to any condition or create an even greater condition than what existed before. There is then no reason to doubt His mercy.

When we look at it from His point of view, we see just how foolish it is to think that our misery can limit His mercy. He loves us. Here He calls His bride (St. Faustina, but the same applies to the Church) "My pleasure and delight". He loves His bride and it is precisely her misery that moves Him, full of compassion and love for her, to give her mercy. He sees her in a miserably state. This is His beloved. She is His bride and He loves her as one. This is the one He loves. Of all creation, this is the one He loves. He said of her in the Canticle, "There are threescore queens, and fourscore concubines, and young maidens without number. One is my dove, my perfect one is but one". When He sees His most beloved in a miserable state, He does not want her to continue in that way but wants her to be happy. The misery causes the mercy because of His great love for us, His Bride. Thus He says, "that the greater the misery of a soul, the greater its right to My mercy" and "I want to save them all." When you fall in love, you are no longer attracted to mere parts of the person (some parts you like others you don't) as in infatuation. Rather you are attracted to the other person as a whole; you want the whole thing. There is no differentiation into various parts. The person is a whole. Thus, when Christ loves the Church, He wants to save all her members. He wants to save them all. "On the cross, the fountain of My mercy was opened wide by the lance for all souls-no one have I excluded!"